[PlanetCCRMA] Reloading

Tue Aug 27 18:06:01 2002

Wow, sorry you had so much trouble with 7.3...

> However, I now have one quandary: I'm using an external USB audio
> interface, and the module for it did not pop into existence when I did
> the install (nor did I expect that it would). From what I understand, I
> would have to reconfigure and rebuild the kernel to create it. Is there
> some way to do this through apt-get, or do I have to do the
> configure-and-make dance as before?

Rebuilding should not be necessary (that is the point of the
planet ccrma rpms). If you had the modules working before they
should be there now (provided that all rpms have been
reinstalled). Which kernel are you booting into? Do a "uname
-r" to find that out. It has to be the planetccrma kernel,
which has an associated alsa driver package. Any other kernel
will definitely not see the alsa drivers.

Check to see if you have the current kernel installed:
  rpm -q -a |grep kernel-up
This should show at least one matching line, if it is the
latest it should be something like:
  kernel-up-2.4.19-1.ll

Check that you have a matching alsa-drivers rpm:
  rpm -q alsa-driver-2.4.19-1.ll
(or substitute whatever kernel-up version you got from the
previous query)

If you have both installed and you are not booting into that
kernel edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and make the 2.4.19 kernel
the default. The line that says "default=" should point to the
numeric zero based order of the planetccrma kernel - that
should be normally "default=0". Reboot into that kernel. The
alsa drivers should be there.

If you don't have them installed then you can use apt-get to
install them, follow the instructions in the planetccrma page.

-- Fernando