[PlanetCCRMA] Failure loading/testing at alsaconf

Fri Aug 30 18:21:00 2002

> On the second machine, at the /usr/sbin/alsaconf step, I see two sound
> cards, which is correct. This machine has a AP2496 and an RME Hammerfall
> Light. I choose the 2496, tell it to write the /etc/modules.conf file, and
> after that, when it attempts to start the drivers, this is what I see....

That's fine, I think. When you use "/usr/sbin/alsactl store"
to store the current mixer configuration it writes the
settings to /etc/asound.state. You probably did an "alsactl
store" before, using an older version of alsa (maybe?) so that
the information that is there is slightly incompatible with
the newer version of alsa.

[small light bulb shows up on top of my head]

I know what happened... when you did your test with the RME
card alsactl stored the configuration with the name CARD0
(probably) because that is the default if you do not specify a
name for the card in the options line of the modules.conf
file. So you have a configuration in /etc/asound.state for the
Hammerfall under the name CARD0. Then you change the setup and
try the AP, and it tries to load whatever it finds in
/etc/asound.state under the name CARD0 (because again you do
not specify a name in the modules.conf file). But the options
now do not match, because the card is different. So just
configure things, do an alsactl store and everything should be
fine.

To avoid this (I think) you should change the options line for
the card in /etc/modules.conf to something like:

options snd-ice1712 snd_index=0 snd_id=AP2496

(note the snd_id at the end).

If you now alsactl store the configuration will be saved under
the AP2496 name and no confusion will happen with the
Hammerfall.

Hope this is clear.
-- Fernando