[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel 2.4.20-4.ll.acpi(smp) panic!

rncbc .net rncbc@hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 04:42:01 2003

Hi there,

Just the first time here to report the following.

On 2003-04-02 00:00 GMT, I've managed to complete that major repository
update, by installing planetccrma-core-smp. That was after the apt version
upgrade, configuration and repository update.

I ended up installing the new 2.4.20-4.ll.acpismp kernel and respective alsa
driver modules, along with other alsa stuff as well.

My problem is, the new kernel (either up or smp) gets sistematically stuck
at boot with a unpleasant kernel panic, somewhere on sched.c:577 (if I
remember well), just about when "Mounting local file systems" message is
issued.

The machine is a dual PIII@1GHz, w/512MB RAM, 2x120GB HDD IDE, where the
previous kernel 2.4.19-1.llsmp always ran very well, and still is in fact.

So, I'm asking if anyone in this list had experienced the same.

Tonight I'll peek around with the kernel configuration (wich I've installed
the source as well) and see where things may be wrong.

FYI, I also run in this very same machine, in distinct disk partitions, a
deeply hacked SuSE 8.1 distro where I run a custom 2.4.20 stock kernel, also
patched by Andrew Morton's low-latency and Robert Love's preemptible
patches. As this is somewhat my sandbox, I manage to have JACK, MusE and
Ardour compiled from latest CVS. Although ardour freezes now and then (but
that's expected ;), everything runs very happilly for almost two months. And
still.

Best regards,

rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@hotmail.com