[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel 2.4.20-4.ll.acpi(smp) panic!

rncbc .net rncbc@hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 12:27:00 2003

Hi nando,

Glad to hear from you.

>Could you try to boot disabling acpi? That is the only major change in
>what is included in the kernel. Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and the end of
>the "kernel /boot/vmlinuz..." lines that correspond to 2.4.20 add the
>"acpi=off" option.

I use LILO as feel confortable with it since the dawn B). Yes, I've already
tried that one. My lilo.conf entry for the SMP kernal was exactly the
following:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-4.ll.acpismp
        label=linux-2.4.20-4
        append="acpi=off hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi root=/dev/hda3"
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-4.ll.acpismp.img

Needless to say, to no avail. And the same for the UP kernel. It hangs at
boot, giving something like:

kernel BUG at sched.c:577!
invalid operand: 0000
CPU: 0
EIP: 0010:[<c0118b8e>] Not tainted
EFLAGS: 00010286

... and more rubbish follows.

>If this is still a problem you could stay in 2.4.19 untill there is a
>newer kernel. In that case I will build matching drivers so that you can
>use the latest alsa.

Yes I'm keeping the 2.4.19 for good reasons ;) This issue it's not quite a
showstopper as I'll investigate it further.

Thanks for your attention. I'll be back soon.

rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@hotmail.com