[PlanetCCRMA] very weird problem with the new apt (after full install of 8.0)

Fri Apr 4 17:52:01 2003

Hi all. This morning I installed a new system for one of our students in
a brand new laptop. This was 8.0, from scratch and with a partial
install (not all packages were selected). After installing and
configuring apt I get a problem with dependencies after using apt to
install packages - essentially it fails to recognize some files (like
"/bin/bash") that are provided by the base redhat packages, and
subsequent uses of apt fail because of the dependency problems.

I found a temporary workaround: edit the /etc/apt/sources.list and
comment out all repository lines. Do an "apt-get update". Uncomment all
repository lines you were using before. Do another "apt-get update". I
imagine this is a bug with the current version of apt.

I do not see this in my 8.0 machine. I suppose it is because the
database for the base redhat packages was built with the older apt and
has not been redone by the new one.

-- Fernando