[PlanetCCRMA] very weird problem with the new apt (after full install of 8.0)

Fri Apr 4 18:45:02 2003

> Hi all. This morning I installed a new system for one of our students in
> a brand new laptop. This was 8.0, from scratch and with a partial
> install (not all packages were selected). After installing and
> configuring apt I get a problem with dependencies after using apt to
> install packages - essentially it fails to recognize some files (like
> "/bin/bash") that are provided by the base redhat packages, and
> subsequent uses of apt fail because of the dependency problems.
>
> I found a temporary workaround: edit the /etc/apt/sources.list and
> comment out all repository lines. Do an "apt-get update". Uncomment all
> repository lines you were using before. Do another "apt-get update". I
> imagine this is a bug with the current version of apt.

It seems (from a thread I found in the freshrpms.net site) that it is a
known bug that is triggered by certain combinations of installed
packages (just my luck):

> Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> This is a known bug I've just fixed. It happens in some very specific
> package arrangements, when the pkglist cache is reused. Removing the
> cache (rm /var/cache/apt/*.bin) should fix it temporarily, until the
> next change in the database.

So you can also remove the cache and "apt-get update" to fix this.
I'll upgrade to a newer version of apt when it is available.
-- Gustavo Niemeyer