[PlanetCCRMA] Must I upgrade to build Ardour?

Sat Apr 5 09:58:01 2003

> what wasn't. However, I went to build Ardour from CVS this morning, and
> it turns out Ardour now requires Jack -.66.x so I couldn't build Ardour.
> Bummer.

Sorry about that. I sent a few messages related to that to the list and
finally decided to upgrade (to 0.66.4, latest cvs as of yesterday). The
problem is that I have to rebuild all clients but qjackconnect still
dies when a jack client exits. I guess we will have to live with that.

The building is almost done. I have not yet done ecasound cvs (and maybe
that will have to wait) and can't rebuild soundtracker because the
transport api in jack changed and there are (to my knowledge) no patches
for it.

>    To start moving in the right direction, this morning I did:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
>    This proceeded nicely and seemed to update, but now synaptic doesn't
> work at all. I get the main white window up. It then hangs and I have to
> do a kill -9 to get rid of it.
>
>    Possibly I just need new apt.conf files?

You should probably upgrade your kernel and alsa. There are instructions
in the changelog in the planetccrma web page. The repository structure
for the kernel changed and you need to update both sources.list and
apt.conf (and that is probably why synaptic is hanging).

>    I'm running your 2.4.20-1.12.ll.acpi test drive kernel and Synaptic
> version 0.32 seems to be installed.
>
>    Am I the only person at the Planet building Ardour? My system seems
> to have updated a number of things, but Jack wasn't one of them. I'm
> still at Jack 0.51. Will I get Jack 0.66.x when I get configured with
> your newest Planet configurations?

Not yet, latter today for sure, I'll send another message (obviously)
when it is up and running.

-- Fernando