[PlanetCCRMA] Must I upgrade to build Ardour?

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Sat Apr 5 10:18:01 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 09:57, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > what wasn't. However, I went to build Ardour from CVS this morning, and
> > it turns out Ardour now requires Jack -.66.x so I couldn't build Ardour.
> > Bummer.
>
> Sorry about that. I sent a few messages related to that to the list and
> finally decided to upgrade (to 0.66.4, latest cvs as of yesterday). The
> problem is that I have to rebuild all clients but qjackconnect still
> dies when a jack client exits. I guess we will have to live with that.

Not a problem in the least for me right now. I won't actually be using
anything since all I can run Jack on right now is the on-board sound
chip. However, I wanted to look over Ardour's new 'narrow mixer'
interface. I've been back working on Pro Tools this week and have really
seen that value of very many little user interface features they have. I
want to review Ardour and then make a report to the Ardour group for
their consideration.

> >    Possibly I just need new apt.conf files?
>
> You should probably upgrade your kernel and alsa. There are instructions
> in the changelog in the planetccrma web page. The repository structure
> for the kernel changed and you need to update both sources.list and
> apt.conf (and that is probably why synaptic is hanging).

I will go ahead with the update then. I presume that I do not need to
remove the test drive kernel first? This machine currently has

2.4.18-14            -- stock RH 8.0
2.4.19-1.ll          -- standard Planet kernel
2.4.20-1.12.ll.acpi  -- test drive kernel

and will then get a fourth kernel. No problems doing this?

> Not yet, latter today for sure, I'll send another message (obviously)
> when it is up and running.
>
> -- Fernando

Thanks! I'll wait for your messages.

Cheers,