[PlanetCCRMA] Must I upgrade to build Ardour? (and more on jack and friends)

Sat Apr 5 10:38:01 2003

> > > what wasn't. However, I went to build Ardour from CVS this morning, and
> > > it turns out Ardour now requires Jack -.66.x so I couldn't build Ardour.
> > > Bummer.
> >
> > Sorry about that. I sent a few messages related to that to the list and
> > finally decided to upgrade (to 0.66.4, latest cvs as of yesterday). The
> > problem is that I have to rebuild all clients but qjackconnect still
> > dies when a jack client exits. I guess we will have to live with that.
>
> Not a problem in the least for me right now. I won't actually be using
> anything since all I can run Jack on right now is the on-board sound
> chip. However, I wanted to look over Ardour's new 'narrow mixer'
> interface. I've been back working on Pro Tools this week and have really
> seen that value of very many little user interface features they have. I
> want to review Ardour and then make a report to the Ardour group for
> their consideration.

I see. I got another message off the list from a Planet CCRMA user
concerned about the upcoming jack change (and the stability of the
overall planet). It is a tough call.

Ardour is not the only reason for the update. The newer jack supposedly
handles clients that do not meet the hard deadlines much better. I see
this problem of qjackconnect sometimes dying (no, not all the time) when
clients exit, but to be fair I have seen this before with clients
crashing and taking down not only qjackconnect but other clients as
well, something which I have not (yet) seen on the new jack.

Another option I'm considering is temporarily using the "test"
planetedge respository to host this bunch of upgrades so that users can
test them and report back their experiences. And depending on what
happens I'll move the stuff to the normal planetccrma repository.
Obviously I don't want to keep the split open for a long time. I also
don't want to rebuild things twice (one for the old jack and another
time for the new one) so that any changes in versions will only go to
the "test" repository (for example I already have ams 1.5.8b built).
Thoughts?

[also, I'm starting work on rebuilding for 9 so there's plenty to do...]
-- Fernando