[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Wow...what a bomb!

Ryan Gallagher ryanpg@yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 15:18:01 2003

Whoa...

I'm sorry you had a rough time... my upgrade was a breeze.  You can get
9 specific xmms from freshrpms (althoug I've NEVER been able to make
xmms use alsa).  And somehow installing/running the kernel/alsa stuff
from the planet was no problem for me either... (though perhaps my drm
problem could be rh 9 related).

Wonder how other people will fare..

-ry

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 13:38:14 -0600
> From: Brian Fahrlander <kilroy@kamakiriad.com>
> To: PlanetCCRMA <planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
> Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] Wow...what a bomb!
>

>     Sure it's not as big a mess as when they moved from a.out to ELF,
> or
> libc5 to GlibC, but upgrading via CDROM to Redhat 9's still a mess.
>
>     I expected ALSA to need some babysitting- the previous version
> was
> kernel specific and the upgrade didn't know how to get that (though I
> think ALSA's supposed to be built-in soon.)
>
>     Some things just DIE.  XMMS is the current issue.  I even apt-get
> -b
> sources and installed it fresh, and it's segfaulting.  Xawtv- same
> thing.  Right now I'm using 'zapping' and playing with the odd set of
> defaults it comes with.
>
>     And if that's not enough, the basic OSS setup didn't work outta
> the
> box, either; I had to manually insmod 'emu10k1' to get it to work.
>
>     With work, I've gotten ALSA back, and Zapping's covering the TV.
> But if someone were to ask me wether to install or upgrade- I'd say
> install.
>
>     It's a beautiful thing; you can barely tell the difference
> between
> an 8.0 install with good fonts from 9.0, and I'm sure there's a lot
> of
> things I've not seen yet.  And best yet, things are much faster and
> smooth with the new thread library.  I'm not carpin'...just making
> others aware of the situation so their lives can be made easier.
>
>     Once these important kernel changes have gone through, life will
> be
> SWEET!

=====
--r--