[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Wow...what a bomb!

Brian Fahrlander kilroy@kamakiriad.com
Sat Apr 5 15:37:02 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 17:17, Ryan Gallagher wrote:
> Whoa...
>
> I'm sorry you had a rough time... my upgrade was a breeze.  You can get
> 9 specific xmms from freshrpms (althoug I've NEVER been able to make
> xmms use alsa).

   Well, I've gotten _and_rebuilt_ the XMMS stuff there...still got the
segfault.  So I'm trying something.

   I've kept this same home directory for almost 3 years now...there's
probably a lot of crud in there.  So I'm starting with a new, empty
directory and trying it again.  So far, so good.

> And somehow installing/running the kernel/alsa stuff
> from the planet was no problem for me either... (though perhaps my drm
> problem could be rh 9 related).

    ALSA hasn't been much of a problem.  I've got it running again, but
I just did it the brute-force way: yank it all outta there, rebuild from
apt, and re-install.  I also used AlsaConf which has worked perfectly
every time (at least for me). Is there some reason it's not in
alsa-utils or similar?

    Zapping keeps dying...and unfortunately just before saving it's
configuration file.  :(  Xawtv won't compile, and the binaries segfault.
I found a way to get Licq back again on RPMFind.net.

> Wonder how other people will fare..

   I'm hearing very little, but that might be because the mirrors have
been shut down to give Redhat the stage; not sure why that is...but it's
keeping people from jumping onto the bandwagon.

   One thing it's done is to allow me the opportunity to try out
Evolution again.  And guess what?  It's very cool, now.  Once I was able
to keep my folder list open, and learned that it sync's with the
PalmPilot by merely pressing the HotSync button, I'm sold!  I can get
very, very used to this.