[PlanetCCRMA] Fw: Kernel 2.4.20-4.ll.acpi(smp) panic!

rncbc .net rncbc@hotmail.com
Tue Apr 8 01:43:01 2003

Hi nando et al.

I've finally isolated, beyond any doubt, the kerneel configuration feature
that led to my boot problems with planetccrma-core-smp's packaged kernel
(2.4.20.ll.acpismp).

And the guilty one is: ... High Memory support (4GB).

Disabling this, and only this feature, from the planet's config file
(kernel-2.4.20-smp.config) has proven necessary and sufficient to end up
with a good bootable kernel.

I'll remember (again :) that I'm rebuilding the kernel from stock
(linux-2.4.20) with Andrew Morton's low-latency patch
(2.4.20-low-latency.patch), and Robert Love's premptible-kernel
(preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.20-1.patch) and variable jiffle set to 1000Hz
(variable-hz-rml-2.4.20-pre10-ac2-1.patch). In this order.

As I said, I've been taking the path from vanilla stock kernel, and those
are the only patches applied therefore. However it must be noted that
probably this is not the same path to reconstruct a planetccrma's kernel
replica.

I guess nando is taking RedHat's kernel sources from scratch. And thats
probably a significant separate branch from vanilla. Am I right?

Unfortunately all my attempts to compile the kernel from the
sources installed by the kernel-source#2.4.20-4.ll.acpi package has been
doomed to failure -- missing header files, I suppose, but not sure AFAICR.

At last, nando, can you tell what precise sources and/or patches have you
based your kernel builds? I would appreciate very much if you can.

Thanks.

Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@hotmail.com