[PlanetCCRMA] Fw: Kernel 2.4.20-4.ll.acpi(smp) panic!

Tue Apr 8 10:57:01 2003

> I've finally isolated, beyond any doubt, the kerneel configuration feature
> that led to my boot problems with planetccrma-core-smp's packaged kernel
> (2.4.20.ll.acpismp).
>
> And the guilty one is: ... High Memory support (4GB).

Wow, good detective work!

> Disabling this, and only this feature, from the planet's config file
> (kernel-2.4.20-smp.config) has proven necessary and sufficient to end up
> with a good bootable kernel.
>
> I guess nando is taking RedHat's kernel sources from scratch. And thats
> probably a significant separate branch from vanilla. Am I right?

No, not really, I use almost plain linus...

> Unfortunately all my attempts to compile the kernel from the
> sources installed by the kernel-source#2.4.20-4.ll.acpi package has been
> doomed to failure -- missing header files, I suppose, but not sure AFAICR.
>
> At last, nando, can you tell what precise sources and/or patches have you
> based your kernel builds? I would appreciate very much if you can.

Yes, of course, it is all available in the source rpm for the kernel
(which is not the same as the binary rpm for the kernel sources - I
know, very confusing). As with any other rpm, the kernel is rebuilt from
a source rpm, in this case kernel-2.4.20-4.ll.acpi.src.rpm. It is
available on the web site, go to the kernel page and follow the link
that's there.

2.4.20-4.ll.acpi is (more or less)
2.4.20 + 2.4.21-pre6 + lowlat + preempt + capabilities + variable HZ

To rebuild the kernel you have to install the .src.rpm rpm (rpm -Uvh)
and then rebuild using rpm and the spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS.
To unpack and patch the sources only (no rebuild) do:
  rpmbuild -bp kernel-2.4.20-4.ll.acpi.spec
You'll find the source tree in the /usr/src/redhat/BUILD directory
To build for i386
  rpmbuild -ba kernel-2.4.20-4.ll.acpi.spec
To build for i686
  rpmbuild -ba --target i686 kernel-2.4.20-4.ll.acpi

-- Fernando