[PlanetCCRMA] Battery status and ACPI + Nvidia stuff

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 04:33:01 2003

This is on a Dell i8100, there quite common so I'l report my experieces.

After upgrading to the ACPI kernel the battery monitor applet thingy in
the gnome bar at the bottom stopped working, it was spewwing errors into
/var/log/messages:

Apr 14 12:19:13 dumuzi kernel:     ACPI-0207: *** Warning: Buffer created
with zero length in AML
Apr 14 12:19:13 dumuzi kernel:         -0091: *** Error: ut_allocate:
Attempt to allocate zero bytes

Also the BIOS's battery level screen doesn't seem to be accessible anymore.
I'l try rebooting with the acpi=off option. I seem to be running an SMP
kernel for some reason, could that be relevant?

The behaviour of the maestro3i soundcard was just as bad as usual; spewing
errors if I run with less than 1024 samples / period.

I built the NVidia kernel modules after setting some environment variable
to ignore the fact that there was a compiler version mismatch. Nothing
seems to have exploded yet.

- Steve