[PlanetCCRMA] VGA BIOS not found?

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Mon Apr 14 09:21:01 2003

Hi,
   Over the weekend I noticed something sort of strange. I'm wondering if
this is a problem with the new Planet kernel, or just something strange
about my system. I do not remember this happening with 2.4.19.ll, or the
test kernel 2.4.20-1.ll, but maybe I missed it.

   If I cold boot my system, log in as myself and start X, everything works
fine. However, if I exit out of X and try to restart it, X will not start
again. As best I can tell from the error message in /var/log/XFree86.log
it's saying it cannot find the VGA BIOS at this point. (Looks at 0xC000 but
says nothing is there.)

   If I reboot the system I can then restart X and everything is normal.

   Once this problem has occurred, no user can get into X, including root.

   Hardware involved is Asus A7V333-X motherboard, Radeon 9000 VGA adapter.

   Does not matter whether I boot using acpi=off or not.

   Seems like it has something to do with how memory is being mapped or BIOS
is being shadowed. BIOS settings are default, and I have not looked for a
solution to this in BIOS yet. I've just been ignoring it.

   Does anyone else with different hardware see anything like this?

Thanks,
Mark