[PlanetCCRMA] problems with jack ?

David Gerard Matthews dgm4+@pitt.edu
Tue Apr 22 18:11:02 2003

Yes, it's a bug with older VIA chipsets and ICE cards.  I don't think
it applies to all VIA/Athlon boxes, or even to all ICE cards.  (I think
it might effect M-Aduio cards, but not Terratec, or something like
that.)  It's pretty much limited to Thunderbird and original Athlons,
and older VIA boards.  I don't think it effects Athlon XP's, or
anything with an AMD chipset.   It is a PITA, although I don't have any
USB-only devices, so it didn't effect me too much.  However, you're out
of luck if you want to use a USB midi interface.  However, I should
point out that it isn't USB that's the culprit as much as ACPI.  I got
slightly better performance after I disabled USB, but I was still
getting a substantial amount of dropouts until I disabled ACPI.  I
haven't tried re-enabling USB, however.  (All of this comes from a few
Delta boards and newsgroups I found.  The posters were mostly using
Windows, but it seems to be a low-level OS-independent hardware thing.)
  I should  also point out that disabling ACPI has nasty side effects if
you also run Windows.  Windows will boot into safe mode if it was
installed with ACPI enabled and you then try to boot with it disabled.
(Linux doesn't care.)  I found myself having to re-enable it every time
I booted Windows (not a common occurrence, and even less common now
that I have a Mac on which to run Sibelius.)
HTH,
dgm