[PlanetCCRMA] Problems with Quattro Recording

Steve Haynal steve@softerhardware.com
Mon Dec 1 00:21:02 2003

Hi,

I'm only having partial success recording with my Quattro usb audio
interface. I can record 16 bit on channels 3/4 with arecord:

arecord -D hw:1,1 -r 48000 -f S16_LE -d 10 -c 2 /home/shaynal/test.wav

Problem 1: It seems to record 16 bit on channels 1/2 with arecord but
the recorded .wav file is very distorted, as if the the volume is passed
maxed out. (I did try with all settings of the input level switch but
with little improvement.)

Problem 2: I can not record any sample rate at 24 bit and always get
this "Sample format non available" error:

  arecord -D hw:1,1 -r 96000 -f S24_3LE -d 10 -c 2 /home/shaynal/test.wav
Recording WAVE '/home/shaynal/test.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian in
3bytes, Rate 96000 Hz, Stereo
arecord: set_params:824: Sample format non available

But when I do cat /proc/asound/card1/stream1 I see that this format
should be supported:

Capture:
   Interface 8
     Altset 1
     Format: S24_3LE
     Channels: 2
     Endpoint: 6 IN (SYNC)
     Rates: 88200, 96000
   Interface 8
     Altset 2
     Format: S24_3LE
     Channels: 2
     Endpoint: 6 IN (SYNC)
     Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000
   Interface 8
     Altset 3
     Format: S16_LE
     Channels: 2
     Endpoint: 6 IN (SYNC)
     Rates: 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000

I'm running the latest stock PlanetCCRMA (alsa 0.9.6) on Red Hat 9.0.
Any suggestions on how to fix these two problems?

Thanks,

Steve Haynal