[PlanetCCRMA] Still stuck with Hammerfall HDSP.....

Ludo Max ludo.max@uconn.edu
Thu Dec 4 10:39:00 2003

Hi all,

I am still struggling to get a Hammerfall HDSP 9632 to work with RH9/CCRMA.

I installed kernel-2.4.23-1.ll.rh90.ccrma and the ALSA drivers post 1.0.0rc1
following all the instructions given by Fernando.

I re-ran the alsaconf script and it automatically detected the HDSP. I let it
modify the modules file and then deleted all lines with oss from that file. Then
I typed

/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start

and got a message that the alsa drivers were already running BUT also an error......

ALSA driver already running
Starting sound driver snd-hdsp
/lib/modules/2.4.22-6.ll.rh90/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o: Hint: insmod errors can
be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
init_module: No such device
/lib/modules/2.4.22-6.ll.rh90/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.22-6.ll.rh90/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.22-6.ll.rh90/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o: insmod snd-hdsp failed
                                                           [FAILED]

Obviously, right now there is still no sound from this card.

Under System Tools | Hardware Browser, RME Hammerfall DSP shows up under audio
cards so the system seems to know the card is there.

When I go to the PCI - Control Center, there is also an entry for the HDSP:
01:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall DSP (rev 96)
Memory at ff8f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size = 64K]

There is one other entry using the same IRQ:
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp......
Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 5247
I/O port at e880 [size = 32]

Could this cause the problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the problem? Anything I can
do/run/check that would give you more info as to what could be causing the problem?

Thank you in advance for any help....

Ludo