[PlanetCCRMA] Still stuck with Hammerfall HDSP.....

Thu Dec 4 10:50:03 2003

> I installed kernel-2.4.23-1.ll.rh90.ccrma and the ALSA drivers post 1.0.0rc1
> following all the instructions given by Fernando.
>
> I re-ran the alsaconf script and it automatically detected the HDSP. I let it
> modify the modules file and then deleted all lines with oss from that file. Then
> I typed
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
>
> and got a message that the alsa drivers were already running BUT also an error......
>
> ALSA driver already running
> Starting sound driver snd-hdsp
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-6.ll.rh90/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o: Hint: insmod errors can
> be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> init_module: No such device
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-6.ll.rh90/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-6.ll.rh90/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-6.ll.rh90/kernel/sound/snd-hdsp.o: insmod snd-hdsp failed
>                                                            [FAILED]

What happens if you do a "/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop" and then
restart the driver? Does the driver get unloaded when you stop? Check
the loaded modules at that point to see if there is anything else there
that is sound related (/sbin/lsmod). I assume you tried the old trick of
cold rebooting the machine...

Some cards (can't remember which ones) need to have some firmware
downloaded but that should happen after snd-hdsp is successfully loaded
(after that you run "hdsploader", I think).

> There is one other entry using the same IRQ:
> 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp......
> Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 5247
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
> I/O port at e880 [size = 32]
>
> Could this cause the problem?

I don't know, but unlikely.

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the problem? Anything I can
> do/run/check that would give you more info as to what could be causing the problem?

-- Fernando