[PlanetCCRMA] some suggestions

Fri Dec 5 13:55:02 2003

> > Id have some suggestions for some of your packages.
> > e.g. how about a ladspa plugin naming scheme like ladspa-plugins-name
> > would be alot easier to apt-get :)
>
> Dunno about "a lot".  The only "odd package out" is cmt, all the other
> ladspa plugins are name-plugins.

Also blop. The package naming convention is to name the packages with
the name of the real tarball so I don't think I'll change the naming.
The real solution is to add groups but that is not recommended and the
"blessed" package groups are very few. I'll think about this. It would
be easy if a package could be in two groups at the same time but that is
probably impossible.

> > jackd would be neater with an init script.
>
> That's not a good idea IMHO, jackd isn't a daemon per se, and blocks
> audio hardware when OSS or alsa apps try to use it.  This would not be a
> good default configuration.  If you want to start jackd when you boot
> you could just add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

There is another more fundamental problem. Jack has to run as a normal
user (not root), so which user do you choose? It may work if your
machine has only one account but as soon as you have two then, who runs
jack?

More proper would be to add something so that jack is started when X or
Gnome or KDE or whatever starts.

> > Hows yum support coming along?

Well, as I mentioned before I have to find the time :-)
Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!
-- Fernando