[PlanetCCRMA] CCRMA kernel with evms and xfs support.

Ben Martin monkeyiq@users.sourceforge.net
Sun Dec 7 15:27:02 2003

--=-1ZubJ68lRg8BAcual+Xp

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 12:16, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > I've been running a 2.2.21 kernel with EVMS [1] and SGI's XFS for a
> > while now. I'd like to use the lowlat+preempt CCRMA kernel though
> > obviously still require the evms and xfs patches to continue to use my
> > system. I've created a version of the CCRMA kernel using a=20
> > $ rpmbuild -bp ccrma-kernel
> > and then applying device-mapper,evms,xfs and hand resolving the little
> > rej files at each step.
> >=20
> > I then used my old .config file, make oldconfig'ed it and selected low
> > latency and preempt etc from the make xconfig.
> >=20
> > The kernel that is created from this tree fails to=20
> > $ depmod -a 2.4.22-xfs
> > if there are any loadable modules. I clearly have the loadable module
> > options selected. Assuming that the patches for lowlatency dont allow
> > loadable modules anymore, this would be all fine having made a somewhat
> > trimmed version that has no loadable modules except for the NVidia vide=
> > driver module.
>=20
> I'm not sure I follow. How does depmod fail? Unresolved symbols? I
> assume 2.4.22-xfs is the name of your kernel, right? If you are not
> booted into it then you should specify the kernel symbols to depmod
> against using the "-F" option, the file that contains is normally
> /boot/System.map-KERNEL_VERSION.=20

Hmm, with the -F it works fine. I suspect that the past depmod was able
to pick up /boot/System.map-2.4.22-xfs and use it implicitly for me but
the current depmod here doesn't. Thanks for the info... I've rerolled
the kernel with modules again and the=20
$ depmod -F /boot/System.map-2.4.22-xfs -e -a 2.4.22-xfs
is happy now.

>=20
> The low latency patch does not disallow loadable modules. ALSA itself is
> loaded as kernel modules and works fine (well, except for bugs of
> course).=20

Not looking into the patch city that was in the CCRMA kerenl in any
great depth what level of interest is there in having yet another CCRMA
kernel with original CCRMA + dm + evms + xfs in it?

The main icky parts are getting the evms-2.2.0 and device-mapper
userland stuff installed both of which want a little hack in rc.sysinit.

> =20
> -- Fernando
--=20
Blogtackular http://advogato.org/person/monkeyiq/