[PlanetCCRMA] CCRMA kernel with evms and xfs support.

Fri Dec 5 18:18:01 2003

> I've been running a 2.2.21 kernel with EVMS [1] and SGI's XFS for a
> while now. I'd like to use the lowlat+preempt CCRMA kernel though
> obviously still require the evms and xfs patches to continue to use my
> system. I've created a version of the CCRMA kernel using a
> $ rpmbuild -bp ccrma-kernel
> and then applying device-mapper,evms,xfs and hand resolving the little
> rej files at each step.
>
> I then used my old .config file, make oldconfig'ed it and selected low
> latency and preempt etc from the make xconfig.
>
> The kernel that is created from this tree fails to
> $ depmod -a 2.4.22-xfs
> if there are any loadable modules. I clearly have the loadable module
> options selected. Assuming that the patches for lowlatency dont allow
> loadable modules anymore, this would be all fine having made a somewhat
> trimmed version that has no loadable modules except for the NVidia video
> driver module.

I'm not sure I follow. How does depmod fail? Unresolved symbols? I
assume 2.4.22-xfs is the name of your kernel, right? If you are not
booted into it then you should specify the kernel symbols to depmod
against using the "-F" option, the file that contains is normally
/boot/System.map-KERNEL_VERSION.

The low latency patch does not disallow loadable modules. ALSA itself is
loaded as kernel modules and works fine (well, except for bugs of
course).

-- Fernando