[PlanetCCRMA] ALSA Hell - please help!

Kevin Bowen kevin@ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 10 12:39:00 2003

Hello all,
I'm currently having a very frustrating situation trying to get ALSA to work
on my fedora box and could really use any help anyone could give me.

After doing a clean install of FC1, I initially built ALSA  from source (at
the time, it was 1.0pre3), added the appropriate entries for my SBLive to my
modules.conf and everything worked great. After awhile, I decided I wanted
the low latency kernel, so I added planetCCRMA to my sources.list and
grabbed the ll kernel and the alsa RPMs. They didn't work - giving me errors
about no soundcards found/in use. So I removed the alsa RPMs and tried
rebuilding from source for the new kernel, but they still wouldn't work
after a bunch of tinkering, so I eventually just gave up and reverted to the
stock FC1 kernel. Surprisingly however, I still got these errors, even
though it originally had worked with this configuration. I tried rebuilding
ALSA,  (now version 1.0rc2) but still no luck.

I'm sorry for not being able to be more specific about the symptoms, but
they have varied throughout the process, and my memory of which particular
symptoms occurred at what stage is a bit foggy. Right at the moment what I'm
seeing is the ALSA modules won't even insert, saying 'EMU10k1/Audigy - no
soundcards found or in use' on modprobe. In at least some of the points in
this sequence of events, however, the modules would insert successfully, but
then give a similar error when I'd try to run any of the ALSA utilities.
Alsaconf is able to successfully detect the card, and the OSS modules load
and work fine (I don't have them loaded though when trying to load ALSA).
This is very confusing and frustrating, especially since I had it working at
one point and it's now broken, despite nothing relevant I can think of
having changed. I'm at the end of my rope and really close to resorting to
solving this Windows-style (wiping my paritions and doing a clean install).
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kevin@ucsd.edu