[PlanetCCRMA] Re: kernels from planetccrma and atrpms?( was Re: alsa-lib depends)

Axel Thimm planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU, freshrpms-list@freshrpms.net
Sat Dec 13 02:15:02 2003

--B0nZA57HJSoPbsHY

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 07:51:34PM +1100, Alex Kruchkoff wrote:
> Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> >[I'm was not on the list, Alex Thimm forwarded me this message - thanks=
=20
> >Alex!]
> You mean Axel?!

Yes, that's what he means, I am called Alex very often, as Axel isn't
really that common, so no problem here ;)

> Thanks Fernando for joining this list.
> I have a question for you and Axel.
>=20
> I'm using a lot of packages from many repos.  Thanks again and again=20
> guys: great job!
> Right now I'm using kernel-2.4.22-6.ll.rh90 from planet ccrma. This is=20
> the only kernel which works perfectly with my ACPI laptop. With other =20
> kernels I need to pass additional parameters just to be able to boot=20
> (otherwise I have problems with usb or pcmcia). But Fernando's kernel=20
> does perfect job of IRQ routing and now everything including alsa-sound=
=20
> works.
>=20
> But when I run
>=20
> apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade
>=20
> apt (mine is apt-0.5.15cnc3-40.rh9.at) offers to remove Fernando's=20
> kernel and install Axel's kernel#2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at and alsa modules. I=
=20
> respond with "n" and as a workaround I use

This looks wrong, as 2.4.22 is greater than 2.4.20.

> Well, today's output is a bit different: Fernando offers a new kernel.=20
> Thanks. I'll try it. But usually apt just wants to remove my kernel.
>=20
> My question to you guys and to the list: how to prevent the downgrading=
=20
> of kernel?
> Should I use pinning? (I don't want to loose many nice rpms from Axel's=
=20
> repo which I'm using).
> Or may be it's the Epoch problem and something should be done with rpms?
> Or may be I should upgrade the apt?

There is no epoch in ATrpms' kernels. Maybe some other wierd
dependency is pulling in the kernel?

> I'm happy to provide any additional information.

I'll test myself on RH9 and get back to it :)

My personal view about the kernels is that I would like to merge the
features of PlanetCCRMA and ATrpms' kernels. Helpers are more than
welcome, especially when they feel kernel hacker blood in their
veins. ;)

Short description: One of PlanetCCRMA's kernels, as well as all
ATrpms' kernels are based on RH's base kernel adding some
features. These would probably fit together very nicely.

But Fernando has need for some features (low latency and some other
patches) which are more difficult to patch into RH's kernel, so he
packages Linus kernel with the required patches, too.

It would be nice, if we could get those parts together. Currently
neither Fernando, nor I have much time, so helping hands are very much
appreciated. If someone succeeds in putting the patches together,
packaging is not an issue.

Thanks!
--=20
Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de