[PlanetCCRMA] no more network card after installing kernel-sources

Guy Daniel CLOTILDE guy.clotilde@wanadoo.fr
Sat Dec 13 21:25:02 2003

Hi all, hi Fernando

Sorry for taking your valuable times, but I need help, please.

I use kernel 2.4.22-6.ll.rh8 since weeks without problems. But I have installed the kernel sources for 2.4.22-6.ll.rh8 , and I have removed the old kernels and kernel-sources that were on the harddrive (removed 19 and 21 ll acpi etc).

I let Synaptic download the 40 M of source on my slow connection, and came back a few hours after.
Synaptic did well the job, and showed me the usual message at the end that I believe is only informative ("extra output has been given by this program" or something like this). But just after I clicked on the button to close this window, a lot of disk activity occured... such a lot that my session (xfce4+gnome-panel) ended... So I choose to reboot the whole thing.

The boot sequence was so slow that I thought it was dead. I shuted down the laptop, fired it again and let grub do his now-long boot sequence: grub now stays a long time with its first message that says that it is loading. Anyway it goes on, but now my pcmcia network card is no more seen. There are no more light.

System messages say that pcnet_cs cannot be loaded.
When I try
	modprobe pcnet_cs
I got the answer that ds cannot be loaded: "operation not permitted".

I must say that I havent changed my kernel, just added the sources and removed the old kernel + kernel-sources that were on my dd, all of this through synaptic interface.

One thing I noted is I have no more the /sbin/cardmgr file... I think I need it for my pcmcia cards, as I remember I fought a bit with this years ago...

So if anyone knows how to resolve this problem, I'll be very grateful to receive some advices.

I'm wondering too, Is the problem related to the size of my swap file? How can I know the right size?

Thanks in advance
GuyCLO~