[PlanetCCRMA] newbie question: how do I recognize OSS driver modules?

Sun Dec 14 21:33:01 2003

> Step 2 (configuring the /etc/modules.conf file) intructs me to remove
> any lines in the file that refer to the OSS sound driver kernel modules,
> but also tells me to use the example text as a template, substituting my
> card's driver module name for the snd-ens1370 module in the example.
> The example text contains the same lines that my file has with several
> modules that end in "oss".  Here is my version:
>
> alias eth0 8139too
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci
> alias eth1 8139too
> # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> # --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.0rc2 ---
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx
> # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
>
> Are those lines ending in "-oss" okay to leave there, or are they the
> ones I should disable?

You should leave them there, they were the ones that alsaconf created
for the alsa configuration. "modules.conf" looks fine to me.

> Similarly, in Step 3, (unload any oss sound driver modules), I've run
> /sbin/lsmod, and I see a lot of stuff ... but how do I know which ones
> might be oss sound drivers?

Not easy. A while ago I started to write a script that would list them,
never finished it :-) As you don't have anything in modules.conf related
to the old oss drivers a reboot should be enough to ensure no oss
modules are loaded.

Try to start alsa again after rebooting, post any related messages you
see in /var/log/messages or in the output of dmesg.

-- Fernando