[PlanetCCRMA] newbie question: how do I recognize OSS driver modules?

Bruce Elliott belliott4488@comcast.net
Sun Dec 14 20:44:01 2003

I've been using Linux for only a couple of months, so I'm still very new
to issues of driver and module configurations.  On the other hand, in
case the authors of the Planet CCRMA site see this, I have to say that
this site is far and away the best I've seen at guiding a new nonexpert
user through the steps of installing new OS-related software.

I have run into what I hope is an easy snag, however.  I've been
following the steps on the web pages, and I've gotten to the point where
I've installed the new ALSA driver module for my soundcard.  The
instructions tell me to remove any OSS drivers that were left over, but
I don't know how to recognize them.  [Note: my OS and hardware
configuration are listed at the end of this message.]

Step 2 (configuring the /etc/modules.conf file) intructs me to remove
any lines in the file that refer to the OSS sound driver kernel modules,
but also tells me to use the example text as a template, substituting my
card's driver module name for the snd-ens1370 module in the example.
The example text contains the same lines that my file has with several
modules that end in "oss".  Here is my version:

alias eth0 8139too
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci
alias eth1 8139too
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.0rc2 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

Are those lines ending in "-oss" okay to leave there, or are they the
ones I should disable?

Similarly, in Step 3, (unload any oss sound driver modules), I've run
/sbin/lsmod, and I see a lot of stuff ... but how do I know which ones
might be oss sound drivers?

I hope I do still have some oss drivers running, because both
/usr/sbin/alsaconf and /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start give me [FAILED]
results.

Here are my vitals:
Red Hat Linux 9.0, kernel v. 2.4.20-8 (original, now replaced by the
CCRMA kernel)
Processor: AMD Athalon 2400 on Gigabyte Tech. K7 Trition mboard
Soundcard: VIA Tech. Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

thanks in advance for any help,
Bruce