[PlanetCCRMA] kernel config file - building only 1394 drivers

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Mon Jan 6 20:00:02 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 18:49, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> >    Can you refresh me on the process of building the Planet kernel here
> > at my house. What is it I need to download?
>
> See:
> http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2002-November/000400.html
>
> >    Most specifically, what is the name of the kernel config file that
> > would allow me to rebuild your kernel?
>
> The 1394 drivers are already part of the compiled kernel rpms... why
> would you need to recompile?

Fernando,
   I'm havign problems with a couple fo 1394 devices. Unfortunately the
1394 drivers supplied with 2.4.19 are pretty old and do not include a
number of bug fixes for different sbp2 devices. You can't even talk to
the developers (I've been part of Linux 1394 development for 3 1/2
years) unless you have the latest drivers.

   Actually, all I'd like to compile is the drivers themselves, but the
guys on the 1394 developers reflector don't know how to do that, so they
are telling me I have to redo the whole kernel. I hate this idea as it
would potentially make me incompatible with what you are providing.

   I _think_ where they're going to suggest this goes is that I build
the kernel using your config file but with new driver code, and then
copy just the new drivers somewhere. Even that bothers me.

   I'll go into a deep rant here if I'm not careful. I absolutely hate
Linux in this regard. In the Windows world a driver is a driver. If the
hardware vendor wants me to install a new driver it's a 2 minute job. In
the Linux world it consistently seems to come down to building a
complete new kernel. It's like my spark plug is a little fouled, so I
have to buy a new car instead of just getting a tune up. The developers
think this is power. I think it's a waste of time and causes problems.

   And my rant leads me to EXACTLY why I _love_ the PlanetCCRMA
environment you are providing. People that do NOT want to mess with
software, but just want to do music, don't have to. You make it easy.

   Again, I owe you a beer.

Thanks,
Mark