[PlanetCCRMA] kernel config file - building only 1394 drivers

Mon Jan 6 23:20:02 2003

> > >    Most specifically, what is the name of the kernel config file that
> > > would allow me to rebuild your kernel?
> >
> > The 1394 drivers are already part of the compiled kernel rpms... why
> > would you need to recompile?
> >
> Fernando,
>    I'm havign problems with a couple fo 1394 devices. Unfortunately the
> 1394 drivers supplied with 2.4.19 are pretty old and do not include a
> number of bug fixes for different sbp2 devices.

Same here, I tried an ieee1394 enclosure for my old laptop drive and it
did not work. I could get to the filesystem (fdisk, for example), I
could even mount it, but any amount of accessing would eventually
produce i/o errors (at the ieee1394 transport layer, I believe). I
shelved it waiting for new drivers. So I would be interested in solving
this as well.

> You can't even talk to
> the developers (I've been part of Linux 1394 development for 3 1/2
> years) unless you have the latest drivers.

Latest means 2.4.20? Or newer? Do you have pointers to the code?

If new means 2.4.20 I do have some 2.4.20 kernels I've been working on.
I have not released them because jack and friends were hanging the
machine, but now it would seem the problem is in jack itself and also
happens (less frequently?) in 2.4.19. You could try them out if 2.4.20
is enough. Come to think of it, I may try them tomorrow with the
enclosure if I can find the time.

>    Actually, all I'd like to compile is the drivers themselves, but the
> guys on the 1394 developers reflector don't know how to do that, so they
> are telling me I have to redo the whole kernel. I hate this idea as it
> would potentially make me incompatible with what you are providing.

Hmm, good question (on how to do that). If it is a driver that is _not_
part of the kernel rpm then it is relatively easy. Just create another
rpm that includes only the new driver and install it in addition to the
kernel (that is what actually happens with alsa). Now, if the driver is
already part of the kernel and/or the driver is part of other kernel
subsystems then things are not so easy because you have to replace the
driver. If you want to do this within the framework of rpm and keep
everything compatible and undoable things get complicated. I've done it
while testing some kernel drivers for a Radeon card but it is not
pretty.

>    I _think_ where they're going to suggest this goes is that I build
> the kernel using your config file but with new driver code, and then
> copy just the new drivers somewhere. Even that bothers me.

Yeah, that would probably the easy way out. Rebuild the kernel but do
not install it, just copy the relevant binary driver files on top of the
existing files that are part of the installed kernel rpm.

Another option is brew your own kernel with all the patches you want and
install it alongside the planet ccrma kernel. As you say, it is a waste
of time and not so easy (the first time around, of course).

-- Fernando