[PlanetCCRMA] FW: Redhat 8.0: Recompile the whole thing (or what I need) ala Gentoo???

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Thu Jan 9 13:42:01 2003

> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:22:16AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Fernando,
> >    Rick Stevens is one of the most knowledgeable Redhat guys who
> > participates on the Redhat install reflector. His comments
> below raise the
> > question of whether it would be advantageous to have an Athlon
> version of
> > the Planet kernel for those who'd like to try it out.
>
> That squire supprising. My experience of building plugins with Athlon
> support over 686 is that it made no aqppreciable difference. Maybe I used
> the wrong compiler flags, or maybe it make less difference for float
> heavy code.
>
> - Steve
I'm not qualified to even suggest what would happen, and I'm not sure I'd
know how to measure it. In a standard, base, desktop machine, Rick might be
right talking about graphics performance or something that makes little
difference to us.

I will say that on PTLE machines we did see 1600+ Athlon XP's outperforming
P4-2.4GHz machines. A lot of that is bad choices Intel made in memory
(RDRAM) and newer chipsets from Intel, but there were measurable differences
in plugin count and the number of tracks we could record.

Anyway, I'm just a messenger actually, and a tester if Fernando wanted to
dig into this. I do NOT think this is the most important thing to be doing
right now around here, but on the other hand, if I didn't pass the info on
that wouldn't be right either.

Cheers,
Mark