[PlanetCCRMA] How do I restart Alsa without rebooting???

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Wed Jan 15 11:12:03 2003

Fernando,
   Thanks for the response. This will require me looking at the machine at
home and doing some study. I'll start looking at these ideas this evening
and post back any questions I might come up with.

   From memory I do not remember a preinstall command at all in that
machine's modules.conf file. It may be there. I just do not remember.

   If it is not there, then presumably some equivalent sort of load
instruction would be in the rc.sysinit file somewhere, and maybe it would
need to be moved elsewhere?

   Since the problem goes away when the MidiMan is not plugged in, I'm
thinking that either:

1) USB hotplug uses lots of memory on a cold boot, but doesn't need to on a
warm boot, thus freeing the memory and allowing the Hammerfall to get what
it needs.

2) Something specific to the 2x2 is causing this problem?

   Anyway, I'll go study and try to learn.

   BTW - One last question. Since I know you are going to do a new alsa RPM
in the next few days, does that have any impact on me editing these sorts of
files? I'm not clear whether an alsa RPM does anything in these files.

Thanks,
Mark