[PlanetCCRMA] How do I restart Alsa without rebooting???

Wed Jan 15 15:03:01 2003

>    From memory I do not remember a preinstall command at all in that
> machine's modules.conf file. It may be there. I just do not remember.
>
>    If it is not there, then presumably some equivalent sort of load
> instruction would be in the rc.sysinit file somewhere, and maybe it would
> need to be moved elsewhere?

If there is nothing in /etc/modules.conf then add these lines there (for
example after the "options" lines), do a "/sbin/depmod -a" and test
again:

# --- Load the hammerfall memory module
pre-install snd /sbin/modprobe snd-hammerfall-mem

This will make sure that the memory module is loaded before the rest of
alsa. Maybe that will be enough. Otherwise you will have to try the
modification outlined before (to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit).

>    Since the problem goes away when the MidiMan is not plugged in, I'm
> thinking that either:
>
> 1) USB hotplug uses lots of memory on a cold boot, but doesn't need to on a
> warm boot, thus freeing the memory and allowing the Hammerfall to get what
> it needs.

There is no difference in memory usage between cold (turn off the
machine) and warm (just reboot) boots.

> 2) Something specific to the 2x2 is causing this problem?
>
>    Anyway, I'll go study and try to learn.
>
>    BTW - One last question. Since I know you are going to do a new alsa RPM
> in the next few days, does that have any impact on me editing these sorts of
> files? I'm not clear whether an alsa RPM does anything in these files.

It does not touch those files. If there are changes that impact them
(and I know of them) I'll include comments with the release.

-- Fernando