[PlanetCCRMA] ALSA configuration problem

Juha Rouhiainen juha.rouhiainen@welho.com
Wed Jan 15 13:32:01 2003

Yes. It's a long story and I might not remember all things correctly.
First I downloaded ALSA-sources from www.alsa-project.org.
However I could not get ALSA operational. Propably it was something with
incorrect module versions (unresolved symbols in snd-xxx.o).
The reason behind the errors could be insufficient cleaning after kernel
module updates for NTFS-support, which happened earlier. I did not
understand it then.
Propably I upgraded RedHat from 7.3 to 8.0 at that time.

Then I discovered Planet CCRMA and downloaded RH8.0 binaries for ALSA.
I also downloaded source because I needed NTFS-support (the other OS in my
machine is Xp Home). When I built kernel from source I entered troubles with
gcc version. So after several tries I decided not to try to build
NTFS-support for 2.4.19-1.ll.

So I deleted (or at least tried to delete) all the ALSA & kernel source code
and also object code. If I remember it correctly I run 'make uninstall' in
source directory.

I reinstalled ALSA binaries from Planet CCRMA (apt-get install alsa-xxx
--reinstall).
I reinstalled kernel binaries from Planet CCRMA (apt-get install
kernel-up#2.4.19-1-1.ll --reinstall).

Now I have kernel 2.4.18-14 with ALSA support and NTFS support, but I still
cannot
get other music software playing any midi-sounds. I tried Rosegarden and
some other midi-playing software without any sounds coming out.

Now it seems that everything is so mixed up, that it might be better to
install RH8.0
again from scratch and give Planet CCRMA a second try from clean base.

Yes all audio channels are unmuted (alsamixer) in both cases.

-- Juha