[PlanetCCRMA] ALSA configuration problem

Thu Jan 16 13:22:01 2003

[long story deleted... :-]

> I reinstalled ALSA binaries from Planet CCRMA (apt-get install alsa-xxx
> --reinstall).
> I reinstalled kernel binaries from Planet CCRMA (apt-get install
> kernel-up#2.4.19-1-1.ll --reinstall).
>
> Now I have kernel 2.4.18-14 with ALSA support and NTFS support, but I still
> cannot get other music software playing any midi-sounds. I tried Rosegarden
> and some other midi-playing software without any sounds coming out.

If you just installed the binaries from ccrma for the kernel and alsa
you should not be able to make alsa work under 2.4.18-14. Most probably
you still have some old alsa install (maybe just the kernel modules)
there. See what happens if you do a:
  find /lib/modules/2.4.18-14 -name snd.o
If you find a file then you have alsa installed for 2.4.18 and it will
probably be a different version than the packaged alsa-lib and
alsa-utils that you got from the planet ccrma install. I know, it is
confusing.

> Now it seems that everything is so mixed up, that it might be better to
> install RH8.0 again from scratch and give Planet CCRMA a second try from
> clean base.

It might be a good idea, it depends on how much you have customized your
original install.

-- Fernando