[PlanetCCRMA] Building Alsa RPMs...

Fri Jan 24 18:02:01 2003

> http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/recompilealsa.html
>
> step 3, I build the first RPM using the rpm -bb command. Then before I
> install it I decide to look at ../RPMS/i386 and find that nothing is
> there. I look around and find the RPM just got placed in i686.
>
> The command
>
> rpm -Uvh ../RPMS/i386/alsa-driver*0.9.0-44.i386.rpm
>
> isn't going to work.
>
> I think something is wrong with the architecture part of this thing.

Something is actually right. You are running a i686 kernel so the
alsa-driver-2.4.19-1.ll rpm has to be i686 (otherwise you get the
infamous unresolved symbols problem at load time). Just load the i686
rpms and you will be fine (I generate the i386 alsa-driver rpm so it can
be shared - on that one the architecture does not matter).

> I didn't get an answer to this question earlier. At the step where I do
> apt-get install kernel-source, I stated that I got duplications
>
> [root@Godzilla root]# apt-get install kernel-source
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Collecting File Provides... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package kernel-source is a virtual package provided by:
>   kernel-source#2.4.19-1.ll@i386 2.4.19-1.ll
>   kernel-source#2.4.19-1.ll@i386 2.4.19-1.ll
>   kernel-source#2.4.18-18.7.x@i386 2.4.18-18.7.x
>   kernel-source#2.4.18-18.7.x@i386 2.4.18-18.7.x
>   kernel-source#2.4.18-3@i386 2.4.18-3
>   kernel-source#2.4.18-3@i386 2.4.18-3
> You should explicitly select one to install.
> E: Package kernel-source has no installation candidate
> [root@Godzilla root]#
>
> This doesn't look right to me. Why are there two @i386 entries for each?

I have not clue :-) I think I have only one, I'll have to look around
just in case.

> Anyway, why is the rpm in the i686 directory? What am I doing wrong?

Nothing wrong. The instructions are not complete and do not cover all
possible cases ("you are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike"
:-)

-- Fernando