[PlanetCCRMA] no network in new kernel

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Wed Jan 29 12:29:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 11:46, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Another option
> would be for you to rebuild the planet ccrma kernel with the 3.2
> compiler - not a lot of work but sort of wasted time. Yet another would
> be for me to build the kernel module here with the proper compiler and
> add it to the repository (I did that with the Nvidia proprietary
> driver).
>
> I definitely have to get the new kernel going and split the
> repository...

Yes and no on the wasted time. I'd like to start with your kernel, but
then very, very painlessly (is that possible in Linux?) be able to
modify the build and do my own updates. (I.e. - XFS, 1394 drivers, a
couple of other things.) Having done that, I'd like to still be able to
use the RPMs that you provide.

Is this technically possible? Or is it that since I've rebuilt the
kernel that I must rebuild everything else? I don't think so, but I'm
not sure.

I think for others that do more video work they often come up with new
graphics drivers that create these sort of issue, don't they?

I know most this should be possible with all the stuff you provide
today, but it exceeds my pain threshold, ala the Alsa driver RPMs that
wouldn't build the other day.

Anyway, one hope for the future...

Thanks,
Mark