[PlanetCCRMA] no network in new kernel

Thu Jan 30 12:29:02 2003

> > Another option
> > would be for you to rebuild the planet ccrma kernel with the 3.2
> > compiler - not a lot of work but sort of wasted time. Yet another would
> > be for me to build the kernel module here with the proper compiler and
> > add it to the repository (I did that with the Nvidia proprietary
> > driver).
> >
> > I definitely have to get the new kernel going and split the
> > repository...
>
> Yes and no on the wasted time. I'd like to start with your kernel, but
> then very, very painlessly (is that possible in Linux?) be able to
> modify the build and do my own updates. (I.e. - XFS, 1394 drivers, a
> couple of other things.) Having done that, I'd like to still be able to
> use the RPMs that you provide.
>
> Is this technically possible? Or is it that since I've rebuilt the
> kernel that I must rebuild everything else? I don't think so, but I'm
> not sure.

It is all possible except for the "very very painlessly" part :-)

Rebuilding and installing a new kernel should not affect the workings of
user level programs. The only thing you will need to rebuild as well are
device drivers (to match the new kernel). For example you would need to
rebuild the alsa kernel modules (the alsa-driver source rpm).

At this point messing with the kernel will always involve some amount of
pain. Using rpms simplifies part of the process (and complicates other
parts :-) but finding or making the patch itself and adding it to the
rpm is still not trivial. I could write more detailed instructions but
no matter what I do, there will be a learning curve and a constant level
of pain after that :-)

For example, when testing the 2.4.20 kernels I tried to add the xfs
patch that Con Koliva has in his patches page but it did not patch
cleanly (it is, I think, supposed to). So, I would have to tweak it but
I just don't have the time... It's never easy.

-- Fernando