[PlanetCCRMA] no network in new kernel

Thu Jan 30 12:20:03 2003

>     FPL> Redhat 8 includes a backwards compatible 2.96 compiler.  You
>     FPL> have to tell the build process of the driver to use (somehow)
>     FPL> the 2.96 compiler (/usr/bin/gcc296) instead of just "gcc".
>
> I guess this is the best solution, having access to the same
> build-environment the rest of the Planet is made up with.

Under redhat 8 only the kernel is compiled with gcc2.96 (because it is
actually compiled in a 7.2 machine). The rest of the rpms are built
using the normal gcc3.2 compiler.

> However, I
> can't find anything gcc2** in this RH-8.0 - only gcc 3.2.  Maybe i
> left it somewhere on the CD uninstalled.  Does anyone know where to
> get hold of all of it?

It was probably not installed by default. I don't know on which cd it
is, but the name of the rpms start with "compat-gcc". This is the whole
list (I hope):

compat-gcc-c++-7.3-2.96.110
compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.110
compat-gcc-java-7.3-2.96.110
compat-libstdc++-devel-7.3-2.96.110
compat-db-3.3.11-2
compat-gcc-objc-7.3-2.96.110
compat-slang-1.4.5-2
compat-libgcj-devel-7.3-2.96.110
compat-gcc-g77-7.3-2.96.110
compat-pwdb-0.61.2-3
compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.110
compat-libgcj-7.3-2.96.110

You don't need all of them, of course.

>     FPL> Yet another would be for me to build the kernel module here
>     FPL> with the proper compiler and add it to the repository (I did
>     FPL> that with the Nvidia proprietary driver).
>
> Well, of course this would solve my immediate problem (the driver in
> question is located here: http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux
> ...)

The module is now part of the Planet CCRMA repository (for 2.4.19-1.ll,
architecture i686, up kernel), do an "apt-get update" and then "apt-get
install NVIDIA_nforce" and it should install...

Beware, the binary rpm modifies your /etc/modules.conf when it installs!
(and when it uninstalls). Make a backup copy first. Probably it is fine
for the network module but it might mess up your audio configuration.

-- Fernando