[PlanetCCRMA] no network in new kernel

Anders Vinjar andersvi@notam02.no
Thu Jan 30 05:16:01 2003

    FPL> Redhat 8 includes a backwards compatible 2.96 compiler.  You
    FPL> have to tell the build process of the driver to use (somehow)
    FPL> the 2.96 compiler (/usr/bin/gcc296) instead of just "gcc".

I guess this is the best solution, having access to the same
build-environment the rest of the Planet is made up with.  However, I
can't find anything gcc2** in this RH-8.0 - only gcc 3.2.  Maybe i
left it somewhere on the CD uninstalled.  Does anyone know where to
get hold of all of it?

    FPL> Another option would be for you to rebuild the planet ccrma
    FPL> kernel with the 3.2 compiler - not a lot of work but sort of
    FPL> wasted time.

Would this force me to also rebuild/recompile existing and upcoming
apt-got binary-apps from the sources on the Planet?  I'd like to stay
synced with the standard dist from PlanetCCRMA.

    FPL> Yet another would be for me to build the kernel module here
    FPL> with the proper compiler and add it to the repository (I did
    FPL> that with the Nvidia proprietary driver).

Well, of course this would solve my immediate problem (the driver in
question is located here: http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux
...)