[PlanetCCRMA] Audio Recording and Mixing

Emiliano Grilli Emiliano Grilli <emillo@libero.it>
Wed Jun 11 13:41:02 2003

mercoledì, 11 giugno 2003 alle 15:29:12, Mike Artis ha scritto:
> I am new to audio recording/mixing, but have been using Linux for many
> years.  I am very interested in using the Planet CCRMA packages to do
> audio recording and mixing for my band, but am unsure how to go about
> doing it.

You have found the best resource available for Linux+Audio.

> We have 2 electric guitars, an electric bass and drums.  My question is,
> how is everyone else out there doing this, if anyone is doing this :).

Jan Depner has a similar setup and has produced very cool tracks with
ardour: http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/

> I was thinking it might be best to go through a mixing board and then
> into the input on the sound card, but I have no idea about how much is
> too much for the little input on my card.  Also, since a mixing board
> will really just mix to one track (I think), it would kind of defeat the
> purpose of using something like Audacity/Sweep/Ardour to edit and mix
> the tracks.  My main goal would be to have the ability to record 3-4
> tracks at once without breaking the bank on an overly expensive sound
> card.

The mixing board is something definitely worth to have, even to record in
stereo. A good point, if you want to do multi-channel recordings, is a
mixer with per channel direct-outs, or at least subs, so you can record
different sources at a time. I have a 10 channel spirit from soundcraft and
I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Good supported multi-channel soundcards for Linux are the delta series from
m-audio (delta44=4IN/4OUT, delta66=4IN/4OUT+digital, delta1010=8IN/8OUT+
digital) or the terratec EWS88MT (8IN/8OUT+digital). All those souncards
are based on the same chipset (envy24) and their quality is good. I have a
staudio DSP2000-CPORT which is similar to the delta1010 but cheaper (I paid
399 euro for it).
However, at Jan's site you will find a good information on soundcards for
this type of job. Another resource that I've found about building an home
studio is: http://home.earthlink.net/~rongonz/home_rec/home.html

Ciao

> Thanks in advance,

HTH