[PlanetCCRMA] updated: jack

Ryan G. ryanpg@yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 15:30:02 2003

Howdy Nando,

I caught a few lines of discussion regarding the new way jack temp
files are stored.  But I'm still not all too clear about it exactly...
The idea is that now a mount point will be created in memory rather
than on disk?

Here's what mount tells me (whether jackd is running or not);

[root@ruined /]# mount
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /archives type ext2 (rw,noatime)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,noatime)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /var/lib/jack/tmp type tmpfs (rw)

The last entry seems new and is where jack temp files are created.  Is
this correct?  Of what benefit is it to have these temp files store
there?

Thanks,
-ry

> Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] updated: jack
>
> * jack is now up to version 0.72.4-1. This now includes the install /
>  uninstall scripts that add/remove a tmpfs mount point in /etc/fstab
> so
> that all temporary files that jack needs are not stored on disk (this
> reduces xruns in some situations, specially when your /tmp directory
> is part of a journalled filesystem - triple kudos to Jeese Chappel
> for discovering this workaround!).
>
> Enjoy!
> -- Fernando

=====