[PlanetCCRMA] how to upgrade a package without access to internet repository?

Alex Timmer mijn_troep@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 06:04:02 2003

hello,

i wanted to test the Ardour tarballs. to meet the dependencies i need
to upgrade some packages from the clean RH8.0-CCRMA install that i
have. but, as this machine has no internet connection at all, (i used
the cdroms) how do i go and upgrade those packages?

i already tried the hard way: downloading the rpm's as out of the
repository, putting them on my ccrma machine and rpm --force the
packages. rpm -U -v --test <pkg> clearly told me its not a good idea
due to the dependencies  =). anyway, i managed to forcefully update
everything with rpm except JACK (have 0.51, need >0.62)

since this is clearly not the right way of doing things, i want to
ask how i can update individual packages when i have no connection to
a repository and when i also want to keep my apt intact.

thanks! ALEX