[PlanetCCRMA] how to upgrade a package without access to internet repository?

Tue Jun 17 19:37:01 2003

> i wanted to test the Ardour tarballs. to meet the dependencies i need
> to upgrade some packages from the clean RH8.0-CCRMA install that i
> have. but, as this machine has no internet connection at all, (i used
> the cdroms) how do i go and upgrade those packages?
>
> i already tried the hard way: downloading the rpm's as out of the
> repository, putting them on my ccrma machine and rpm --force the
> packages. rpm -U -v --test <pkg> clearly told me its not a good idea
> due to the dependencies  =). anyway, i managed to forcefully update
> everything with rpm except JACK (have 0.51, need >0.62)

Hmmm, strange, what is it complaining about?

> since this is clearly not the right way of doing things, i want to
> ask how i can update individual packages when i have no connection to
> a repository and when i also want to keep my apt intact.

The only (clean) solution is that I update the repository cdroms more
often :-) Regretfully there is more to do than time to do it (no news
there).

You can always download and install manually, but you should try not to
use --force or --nodeps, otherwise the apt database won't be useful in
the future and chances are that things will not work right (after all,
that is what dependencies are for).

I'm really close to release new cdrom iso images (others are also
waiting for them), I just wanted to include the new kernels in them.
Work work work...

-- Fernando