[PlanetCCRMA] how to upgrade a package without access to internet repository?

Wed Jun 18 10:24:02 2003

> > > due to the dependencies  =). anyway, i managed to forcefully update
> > > everything with rpm except JACK (have 0.51, need >0.62)
> >
> > Hmmm, strange, what is it complaining about?
>
> now i think about it again, i only got scared from the list of
> dependencies i would break; i actually think rpm would install it.
> will try tonight.

Yes, I was not thinking at all (too much work, brain burnout), your
current jack is very old and at some point all jack-aware applications
got a "Requires:" tag that explicitly wants a newer one. That's probably
why there were so many dependencies.

> > > since this is clearly not the right way of doing things, i want
> > > to ask how i can update individual packages when i have no
> > > connection to a repository and when i also want to keep my apt intact.
> >
> > The only (clean) solution is that I update the repository cdroms more
> > often :-) Regretfully there is more to do than time to do it (no
> > news there).
>
> was there not some discussion a while a ago about a method to make
> your own cdroms out of the (up-to-date) repository? i could help wiht
> scripting, now if i knew where those dependencies are hidden...  ;-)

They are part of the apt database. I have not even tried to think of a
way to create "custom" iso images. I imagine it should be possible to do
as the data is there in some form.

> > You can always download and install manually, but you should try
> > not to use --force or --nodeps, otherwise the apt database won't be useful
> > in the future and chances are that things will not work right (after
> > all, that is what dependencies are for).
>
> you are right, an 'apt-get update' now tells me this was not too
> smart (more precise, apt-get detects more than one version of the
> same pkg).

You will need to erase those duplicates and reinstall. I think the right
option to rpm -e is "--allmatches", that will erase all installs of the
same name (and version). Obviously you don't want to use rpm -e
--allmatches if you are dealing with a vital package like glibc :-)

To see what errors you have you can do a:
  apt-get check
That will check the package database for consistency.

-- Fernando