[PlanetCCRMA] how to upgrade a package without access to internet repository?

Alex Timmer mijn_troep@yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 03:36:01 2003

 --- Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote: >
> i wanted to test the Ardour tarballs. to meet the dependencies i
> need
> > to upgrade some packages from the clean RH8.0-CCRMA install that
> > have. but, as this machine has no internet connection at all, (i
> used
> > the cdroms) how do i go and upgrade those packages?
> >
> > i already tried the hard way: downloading the rpm's as out of the
> > repository, putting them on my ccrma machine and rpm --force the
> > packages. rpm -U -v --test <pkg> clearly told me its not a good
> idea
> > due to the dependencies  =). anyway, i managed to forcefully
> update
> > everything with rpm except JACK (have 0.51, need >0.62)
>
> Hmmm, strange, what is it complaining about?

now i think about it again, i only got scared from the list of
dependencies i would break; i actually think rpm would install it.
will try tonight.

> > since this is clearly not the right way of doing things, i want
> > ask how i can update individual packages when i have no
> connection to
> > a repository and when i also want to keep my apt intact.
>
> The only (clean) solution is that I update the repository cdroms
> more
> often :-) Regretfully there is more to do than time to do it (no
> news
> there).

was there not some discussion a while a ago about a method to make
your own cdroms out of the (up-to-date) repository? i could help wiht
scripting, now if i knew where those dependencies are hidden...  ;-)

> You can always download and install manually, but you should try
> not to
> use --force or --nodeps, otherwise the apt database won't be useful
> in
> the future and chances are that things will not work right (after
> all,
> that is what dependencies are for).

you are right, an 'apt-get update' now tells me this was not too
smart (more precise, apt-get detects more than one version of the
same pkg).

greets, ALEX