[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel 2.4.21-1.ll.acpi(smp) panic!

Fri Jun 20 10:44:01 2003

> Remember my kernel panic issues some time ago with old
> 2.4.20-4.ll.acpi(smp) ?
>
> OK. It shows it's ugly head again with the latest
> 2.4.21-1.ll.acpi(smp). See screenshot attached.

Sorry to hear that. I saw a similar problem go away and I was hoping
this one would also have dissapeared :-)

> Some time ago I've investigated on a trial and error basis, building
> several kernels from stock, applying all the same patches as
> planetccrma-core's, tweaking configuration and finally isolated the
> problem: HIGHMEM 4GB support; if this kernel configuration option is
> switched off (CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y) everything boots perfectly.

I guess I could eliminate that option, I have no idea if anybody has
that much memory in a machine and uses Planet CCRMA. I think the option
is on in the RedHat kernels (did you try the tweaked RedHat kernel as
well?)

> Since then, I've managed to run my own low-lat 2.4.21 kernel with
> great success, so I think I'll stick with it.

If it is not broken don't fix it :-)

> But to make me a bit more confortable, I would like to peek on the
> planetccrma-core's src.rpm, just to look after some right patches.
> Where can i get it, if I may?

It's there as usual, there is a link in the "System Stuff" section of
the planet ccrma pages.

-- Fernando

PS: your mailer seems to have not create a proper mime message, at least
evolution complains about not being able to properly parse it.