[PlanetCCRMA] ardour??

kevin ernste kevine@esm.rochester.edu
Mon Jun 30 15:33:02 2003

> I think I'm actually having problems with Alsa and Arts...  Something
> is
> causing my machine to log-off when I start Ardour and I can't work
> out
> the best way to trace what is going on.  Any suggestions?

1. Turn off Artsd.  The easist way is in the KDE Control Center, turn
off the "Sound Server".  Or slse "killall artsd".
2. Try Gnome or Windowmaker (if only to see that the error disappears)

> Have any generic rules appeared with Mandrake and Alsa in regards to
> configuration?

http://www.esm.rochester.edu/kevine/turnkey/alsa.html

This are older and was originally written for 9.0, but might help.

> The MDK ardour doesn't seem to want to play ball.  I'll go and check
> thac's selection again to see if I missed anything, but I'm pretty
> sure
> I've got the right 9.1 rpms this time...

Should be OK.  I have not tried this release, but Thac's work is
generally very good and has worked well in the past.

Rather than adding rpm's one at a time and potentially missing
something, try adding Thac's page as a "urpmi repository" and
installing that way, run:

urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/9.1/RPMS with hdlist.cz

...all one line, and then for any app:

urpmi APP_NAME (Ex. "urpmi ardour")

Kevin

=====
"I should prefer this note not be read or, if skimmed, that it should be forgotten." - Mallarme