[PlanetCCRMA] gem in Redhat 9

kevin ernste kevine@esm.rochester.edu
Mon Jun 30 12:33:01 2003

########################

On June 20th, nando wrote:

* added gem to the RedHat 9 repository (hola Pato! :-) It requires a
  slightly newer version of the Glut package that I snarfed from
  RawHide. Apparently the only other package the currently depends on
  Glut is kdegraphics and the programs I tested seemed to not be
  affected...

-- Fernando

########################

The Gem problem seems to be worse than just these system depends
issues, at least for me.

I get an 'undefines symbol' error when using -lib Gem and this version
of glut (3.7-13):

/usr/lib/pd/extra/Gem.pd_linux: /usr/lib/libglut.so.3: undefined
symbol: glXBindChannelToWindowSGIX
Gem: can't load library
pd: exiting

...solvable only by forcing an install of the redhat 8.0 rpm version of
glut (3.7-8), then rebuilding gem and forcing it's install (--nodeps
--force).  This fixes things temporarily, though it is a kludge and
also breaks apt updates :((

I found the "solution" here:

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001014.html

Kevin

=====
"I should prefer this note not be read or, if skimmed, that it should be forgotten." - Mallarme