[PlanetCCRMA] Xemacs weirdness with Nando's config

Bob L. Sturm sturm@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Jun 30 16:44:01 2003

I have installed xemacs with an apt-get install command, and followed the
directions of Nando's by merging his .emacs file with my custom.el file in
my .xemacs directory. But when I start up it gives me an error:

(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading
/home/bob/.xemacs/init.el:

Cannot open load file: ilcompat

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause of the error
in your initialization file and remove it.  Use the `-debug-init' option
to XEmacs to view a complete error backtrace.
---
I have exhausted the internet searching for a possible fix. I tried
"xemacs -debug-init" but it just opens xemacs with a line at the bottom
that says: Cannot open load file: ilcompat. Nothing appears in the
terminal or the window.

I have gone through the init.el file commenting every line from the bottom
up, running xemacs at every step and have found the problem lies in the
ilisp code:

(let ((window-system nil))
         ;; now we load ilisp, we need it active to define our dialects
        (require 'ilisp))

THese lines, left uncommented, give me the error. I checked in the
directory, /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ilisp/, and there are
files there, but no such thing as ilis-out.el. There is an ilis-out.elc
though. Commenting these lines out then busts the rest of the
initialization script.

I have "apt-get remove xemacs" and "\rm -Rf /usr/lib/xemacs", and "apt-get
clean" and then "apt-get install xemacs". But it still doesn't work. And
here is something interesting:

[15:15:52][~]# apt-get install xemacs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  xemacs
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 22.3MB of archives.
After unpacking 66.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu redhat/8.0/en/i386/os xemacs 21.4.8-16
[22.3MB]
Fetched 22.3MB in 9s (2298kB/s)
Executing RPM (-Uvh)...
warning: /var/cache/apt/archives/xemacs_21.4.8-16_i386.rpm: V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
Preparing...                ###########################################
[100%]
   1:xemacs                 ###########################################
[100%]
[15:16:31][~]#

What is that warning all about?

Anyhow I downloaded from http://www.xemacs.org/Install/index.html the
newest package I could find: 21.5.14, made and installed that, and it
seems to be doing better, BUT now it can't find browse-url.el. I do a
"locate browse-url.el" and find it in the emacs directory:
/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/net/browse-url.elc

A google search didn't help at all. But I do know it has something to do
with hyperspec. Copying in the emacs version of browse-url to the
xemacs-packages doesn't help either.

The funny thing is that when I installed xemacs when running RedHat 9 I
got a different error, but an error nonetheless!

-Bob.

--
        //\		Bob L. Sturm
  ______\/_  ,		http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~b.sturm/