[PlanetCCRMA] new module help

Juan Reyes juanig@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Mar 3 21:21:02 2003

I got the prism2 drivers running on the planetCCRMA kernel with RH-8.0.
I didn't found gcc an issue, it was more unresolved symbols because of
the target builds (either i386 or i686) and yet again gcc is an issue.
To have it running is a bit tricky because you need to recompile the
kernel with target option --i686. You also need the kernel-pcmcia rpm if
you are using a pcmcia wireless card. You also need the kernel-sources
rpm to be able to compile them. The situation is similar to the
alsa-driver rpm. The linux-wlan-ng package is highly dependent on the
kernel on which you are compiling its sources. Therefore if you feel
somehow adventurous you should try the following steps:

Get the planetCCRMA source kernel  kernel-2.4.19-1.ll.src.rpm
and rebuild it (there have been instructions and guidelines in previous
emails on this list). Make sure to use the right target.
Install your new version of the (ll)  planet kernel.
Install the  kernel-source-2.4.19-1.ll.i386.rpm which is also built by
the kernel.src rpm.
Install an up-to date kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.x.x.x rpm
Get the linux-wlan-ng-0.1.15.tar.gz  from
http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/  and build it according to its
instructions or there is a source rpm at
http://prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us/  which you can also build and
install.

Then if all goes well you should configure the file "wlan-ng.opts" in
either /etc/wlan or in /etc/pcmcia/wlan. Look for the DesiredSSID string
and set the name used by the access point or  wireless dhcp router which
you are trying to connect.

The pcmcia card should behave sort of like a hotplug device. The
internal wireless should start at boot time and should appear as wlan0.
If not you can always do a "iwconfig wlan0" or a "ifup wlan0" to make it
part of your network configuration.

I wish I had all the RPM knowledge to put all these into an spec file of
an rpm and therefore be able to make it a part of the planet apt-get
distribution.

Good luck,

  --* Juan